“At the threshold of Berry and Poitou regions, the manor and its outhouses sit on top of a wooden hill overlooking the left bank of the river Anglin. Following the road from Ingrandes to Mérigny, looking into the valley, it does not take but a glimpse to notice the small castle with its slate covered turrets and an elegant belvedere amidst the surrounding woods… A carpet of greens gently rolls down from the castel to the river bank. »
Le Blanc and its surroundings’ history, 1868.
Saint Victor dates from late XV th century /early XVI th . It housed the Louan and Galliot families from Poitou. In the XVII th century, a member of the Barbançois family,Léon de Barbançois, knight, Lord of Saint-Victor-la-Grande-Maison, had several children. One of them, Antoine, was baptised by Antoine d’Aloigni, abbot of Fontgombault and Lord of Ingrandes, on November 15th, 1671.The godmother was Louise du Riz, daughter of Sylvain des Grandes, Lord of that place. On January 16th, 1691 in the church of Ingrandes was celebrated the wedding of Marie de Barbançois, daughter of Léon, and Jacques Ferdinand Chauvelin, Lord of Luzeret and other places, son of Ferdinand Chauvelin and Anne de Conflans Despoix.
In 1717 Silvain de Barbançois, Lord of Saint-Victor-la-Grande-Maison, willed a meadow by the river Anglin or a pension of 18 pounds to the cure of Ingrandes -leaving the choice between the 2 options to his heirs, to pay for the service of five priests, the day of his death, and forever celebrate a low mass twice a month. In 1717 as well, Philippe de Barbançois, son of Léon, marries Anne-Marie Poiron, sprung from a family with honorable and long lineage of magistrates in Le Blanc. Philippe died on February 13th, 1719, and was buried in the church of Saint-Génitour in Le Blanc, where several other members of the family were buried. Saint-Victor-la-Grande-Maison, at the end of the Barbançois House ownership around 1720, the estate passed into that of Villemort. During the French Revolution, it was in the hands of Mr. de Villemort, before being sold in 1793 as national property.
Charles Thomas L’herpinière, mayor of Ingrandes, bought it on Ventose 24 year II – 14th march 1794. One of Mr. L’herpinière’s daughters, married to Mr. Péris, from Belâbre, inherited it in the first years of the century. Mr. de Villemort bought the property back from Mr. Péris to sell it shortly after to Mr. Beaufumé. Mr. René Creuzet des Roches acquired it in 1830. Inventor of the first harvester-thresher and mayor of Ingrandes from 1843 to 1847, he took over the estate, renovated and rebuilt buildings to the state they are in today. Around 1896 he built a second manor adjoining the first one and turned the old house’s vaulted cellar into a terrace in front of the new castle. From 1876 to 1971, three owners followed: MM. Joslé de Lamazière, Lavergne, Hénault and Chiffre. In 1941, a Honey House, a lemon house and a byre were built. The house was taken over in 1981 by Marie Rouet Grandclément, native of the region.